BASICS stands for Barrhaven and Area Safety Instructional Courses. It is a company created by Karen Fromm to instruct the Canada Safety Council’s Home Alone Course and Babysitting Course, and the SOS 4 Kids My Safe Life course to children and youth. The three courses are described below:
identify the consequences of decisions and actions made in daily life;
follow safety procedures and describe ways to obtain emergency help;
demonstrate knowledge of how to use 911 correctly through role-play and by stating situations when it is appropriate to call 911;
- review basic first aid procedures; and
- a student reference book.
- caring for babies, toddlers and school-aged children;
- the behaviour and misbehaviour of children;
- handling emergencies;
- caring for a sick/injured child; and
- prevention and first aid.
Upon completion of the program with a 75 per cent test result, each participant will be rewarded a certificate and a wallet-size accreditation from the Canada Safety Council.
3. My Safe Life
My Safe Life is a personal safety course for children aged 7 to 10 years of age presented by SOS 4 Kids! The program was created to help kids feel safe in all their usual places: home, school, online, and during activities.
By means of games, digital media, video and role play, My Safe Life aims to help children develop skills that empower them to make confident choices and live a safe life. Topics include:
A Child’s Right to be safe and to get help.
- People Safety
- Tricky people/inappropriate adult behaviours
- Safe strangers and strangers to avoid
- Bullying Prevention
- Being Assertive and Getting help from busy adults
- Basic self defence
- Building Strong Communities (Respect, Kindness and Manners)
- Online Safety
- Travel Safety
- Fire Safety
- Injury Prevention
- Emergencies vs Non-Emergencies
- Basic First Aid
Children take home My Safe Life – Personal Safety for Kids participant manual and a wallet-sized card of completion.